Making yeast bread can be simple and challenging at the same time. While the ingredients are simple: flour, water, salt, and yeast. It can be challenging to prove the dough consistently enough. All you need to transform it from raw dough into a perfect rise is a reliable warm temperature, as well as a vessel to keep that temperature steady.
Do you need a special vessel to prove your dough?
For home bakers, that vessel is usually the oven, a slow cooker, or the temperature in your home, which has worked for centuries. This is why I did a double-take when I saw the $195 price tag on the Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer.
Why so pricey? The Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer is that unlike the traditional proofing methods, which were merely adopted by bakers, this folding proofer was made for them.
Similar to my go-to oven, the Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer is a dedicated, warm box with temperature control. The temperature control makes proving dough so easy it’s something you can (almost) forget about.
But it differs from the other methods in some key ways: first, the folding proofer provides exceptionally consistent temperature and humidity control.
And it is a time-saver because it creates an ideal yeast-friendly environment that proves bread quicker than room temperature.
Second, the folding proofer shape is larger enough that it can accommodate:
three 8½” x 4½” loaf pans
or two 9″ x 5″ loaf pans
or one 8″ round or square pan
or one 9″ round or square pan
or one 9″ x 13″ and one quarter sheet pan.
That is a lot of variety.
Third, beyond proofing, the Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer has a slow cooker mode great for making pot roasts, stews, and more.
With exceptionally consistent temperature control, it doubles as a fantastic tool for making fermented foods such as yogurt, cheese, natto, kombucha, kefir, and more.
And finally, the Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer is easy to store away. The sides fold flat and fit neatly between the proofer and lid base, taking up very little room when it’s in storage. When it’s folded up, its height is less than three inches and 18 x 14.5-inches in length and width.
For me—an experienced but inexpert home baker who’s always looking to improve the end product—the real question was whether the extra $195 or so would actually give me noticeably better bread.
The answer is YES! It does make noticeable better bread, along with a ton of other foods. I find comfort in knowing the bread will rise beautifully every time, on time. No more waiting hours and hours for something to happen.
Baking bread is now enjoyable instead of frustrating!
How Does it Work?
With the Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer, you set the desired temperature, pop your bread in, and voilà you are done. You can rest easy knowing it will keep at a constant temperature.
The proofer features a wire rack and a tray below that holds water to make sure the humidity is just right. The rack and water also prevent the dough from drying out. The device also uses an anodized aluminum heating plate to warm the dough – perfect for making sourdough starters.
The temperature control makes it possible to experiment more with yeast dough, such as making the dough sourer or the timing of dough.
- The Folding Proofer offers home cooks the benefits of a commercial kitchen tool - accurate temperature and predictable results - in an elegant appliance that folds for storage.
- The temperature and humidity control is perfect for rising and fermenting yeast bread dough or sourdough. In slow cooker mode, enjoy delicious one-pot meals using your own favorite Dutch oven or pot. Great for making yogurt, sous vide, tempering chocolate, and a wide variety of probiotic superfoods including soft cheeses, cultured butter, kombucha, tempeh, and kefir.
- Radiant heating warms food to the temperature setting. Proofer mode 70-120F (21-49C) with optional humidity. Slow Cook mode 85-195F (30-90C). (NOTE: inside air temperature may be different than the set temperature)
- Folds flat for storage. Touch a button to switch between Slow Cook and Proofer modes. Interior dimensions (open): 14.75 x 12.5 x 8? high. 8.5" high without rack for Slow Cooking. 120V for North America Only.
- Products with a Purpose | With a portion of our sales, we are proud to support the World Central Kitchen non-profit: founded in 2010 by Chef José Andrés, World Central Kitchen uses the power of food to nourish communities and strengthen economies in times of crisis and beyond.
You should buy this product if you say yes to any of the following:
- you want to bake more often
- you want to get your starter ready quicker
- you want to add consistency and precision to your baking
- you want to better control the time of your fermentation
- You live in colder regions