Banana Kefir Smoothie Recipe
You get the best of both worlds with a banana kefir smoothie. Not only is it a deliciously creamy drink, but it’s also an excellent source of probiotics.
And the health benefits don’t stop there.
- It keeps your digestion moving.
- Helps support your immune system.
- Gives your bones a boost of calcium.
In this recipe, the banana offers an excellent source of vitamin B6 and contains Vitamin C, Potassium, and Manganese, all of which are important for good health. But most of all, bananas taste great and make delicious smoothies!
The banana kefir smoothie is full of so many vitamins, minerals, enzymes, protein, and fats that it can be used as a meal substitute or in smaller quantities and make a great between-meals snack.
Furthermore, because of the fermentation process, kefir is almost entirely lactose-free, making it possible for most lactose-intolerant people to enjoy it.
The health benefits of kefir are vast, and while you could drink it solo, why not kick it up a notch by adding some fresh fruit and making it a tangy taste and healthy smoothie?
If you want to learn more about the health benefits of kefir and how to make it from scratch, check out my milk kefir recipe.
Here are a few suggestions on what you can add to your next kefir smoothie.
- Fresh or frozen strawberries
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Spinach or other leafy greens
Make it an Orange Julius kefir smoothie by adding one small orange to the mix. This will impress your kids.
This superfood smoothie is rich, creamy, and a real treat worth waking up to.
Kefir Smoothie Recipe
- 1 ½ cups of Kefir
- One cup crushed ice
- One ripe banana
- Two tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3-4 tablespoons (or to taste) of maple syrup, or honey
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract, a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend for one minute or until smooth.
- Add more ice to make it thicker. If you prefer it a little thinner, just add one tablespoon of water to dilute it.