Sweet Kimchi with Daikon Radish Recipe
This Kimchi recipe made with daikon radishes and apples is an easy kid-friendly fermented food delight. Kids will love the crunchy, not too salty, not too spicy, satisfying taste. And most importantly, full of probiotics to help promote a healthy gut.
This is such a great way to get those gut-health probiotics into your kids at a young age.
Ingredients for Sweet Radish Kimchi
- 1 Daikon radish or Mu radish (1.5 lbs) peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (approximately 6 cups)
- 1-2 Apples or Pears cut into ½ inch cubes (approximately 3 cups)
- 1 Carrot peeled and shredded
- 4 Green onions, cut into lengthwise then cut 2” long pieces.
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher or flake sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1-2 Tablespoons Gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced (approximately 1 Tablespoon)
How to make Kimchi with Daikon Radish and Apples
- Combine all ingredients in a large-sized mixing bowl. Stir gently until the vegetable mixture is completed coated with the gochugaru and salt. (Make sure to wear kitchen gloves.)
- Cover the bowl and marinate in the salt until the daikon releases its juice, about 2 hours.
- Pack the vegetable mixture tightly into a quart-sized mason jar, pressing down firmly as you allow air bubbles to escape. It is important to release as much air from the jar.
- Weigh down the mixture with a glass weight and then seal the jar with an airlocked lid.
- Allow the daikon to ferment for one to two days at room temperature, and then transfer to the refrigerator. When it starts fermenting, little bubbles may appear on top of the kimchi, and it’ll smell strong & slightly sour.
- Radish kimchi tastes best after a week or two in the fridge to fully develop the flavors. It maintains excellent flavor and texture for several weeks.
|5 L (1.3 Gal) K&K Keramik German Made Fermenting Crock Pot Kerazo FORM_1||Latest Price On Amazon|
|Fermentation Crock Jar 2 Liter / 0.5 Gallon - Stoneware Pot for Fermenting||Latest Price On Amazon|
|E-Jen Premium Container with Inner Vacuum Lid Round (3.1 gal/ 12L)||Latest Price On Amazon|
|Dimchae Kimchi Refrigerator 180L (6.35 cu. ft.)||Latest Price On Amazon|
|Tae-kyung Korean Red Chili Pepper Flakes Powder Gochugaru, 1 Lb||Latest Price On Amazon|
|Non-GMO, Gochugaru, Kosher, Korean Red Pepper Powder Flakes, Coarse Grind 6 OZ||Latest Price On Amazon|
Why Kids Should Eat Kimchi
The Health Benefits of Kimchi
Like all fermented foods, kimchi is an excellent source of probiotics – full of tiny microbes that support the immune system and build up a healthy immune and digestive system.
Just what kids need to help keep the common cold at bay.
Kimchi is known for its anticancer, antiobesity, antioxidative effects, and even reduce the effects of asthma.
Other health benefits of eating kimchi include:
- Increased antioxidant status
- Protection from asthma
- Anti-aging properties
- Anti-cancer benefits
- Protection from atherosclerosis
- Anti-constipation effects
- Colon health promotion
- Brain health promotion
- Skin health promotion
You can read more about the health benefits of kimchi here.