This crunchy Garlic Sourdough Breadsticks recipe creates a light, crispy breadstick. Full of garlic and sprinkled with your favorite seasoning. Serve with your favorite dip or with a meal to make it truly special.
If you are missing the main ingredients, here's how to make your own sourdough starter.
Or, if your start needs a little help, check out how to revive a sourdough starter.
Quick to make, these mouth-watering homemade sourdough breadsticks prove that baking with sourdough is easy. The result is delicious breadsticks in about an hour!
- 1 cup sourdough starter (discard, unfed, freshly fed)
- ½ cup water
- One teaspoon yeast
- Two teaspoons salt
- Six cloves garlic minced
- 2 - 3 cups flour
- Optional seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon seasoning blend
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- sesame seeds
- parmesan cheese
- Combine the starter, water, yeast, salt, garlic, and one cup of flour in a bowl.
- Begin adding the rest of the flour a little at a time until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Knead the dough well on a lightly floured surface.
- Put in a bowl that has been brushed with oil, cover, and place in a warm place to rise for about two hours or when the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and knead again.
- Pinch off small pieces of the dough and roll into ropes approximately 6 inches in length.
- Make them as thick or thin as you wish, but they should all be uniform in size.
- Before baking, brush the breadsticks with water and sprinkle with any seasoning you like.
- Let rise in a warm area for approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until crisp, then place them on a cooling rack.
- They will crisp up further on the cooling rack.
- Watch them carefully so they do not burn.
Can You Freeze Sourdough Breadsticks?
Freezing Sourdough Breadsticks for later use is so easy. To freeze, simply let the breadsticks cool and place them in a ziplock bag to freeze. They will last 6 to 8 months in the freezer with no change in taste or texture.
When ready to use, reheat the breadsticks in the oven at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes.
Or thaw them super quick by using a microwave for 1 minute. To crisp, pop them in the oven for 4 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
If you love the tangy sour taste of sourdough, check out my post on what makes sourdough sour.